The veterinary team at Lexington-Bedford Veterinary Hospital is experienced and knowledgeable in exotic pet care.
In addition to cats and dogs, we treat and care for many types of exotic pets including birds (companion birds as well as backyard chickens and waterfowl), rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, as well as other small, non-traditional pet species.
Because a large percentage of our patients are exotic pets, we provide many special services tailored to these unique critters including:
● Annual preventive physical examinations
● Diagnostic testing including blood work and external or fecal parasite testing
● Diets and nutritional counseling
● Rabbit, ferret, and rodent dentistry services
- We have specialized instruments for this purpose.
● In-house compounded pharmacy and medications
- We have in-house compounded medications and an available compounding pharmacy for precise dosing as well as tasty flavors to make medicating easier for both the owner and the pet.
● Surgery services
- We offer routine surgeries (spaying and neutering) as well as many other surgeries often needed by our exotic patients such as abscess treatment, mass removals, and bladder surgeries. We provide appropriate pain control tailored to each patient and have appropriately-sized anesthesia machines and surgical instruments for these often tiny patients. Our doctors and technicians are well-trained and experienced in administering and monitoring anesthesia to even high risk exotics surgical patients.
● Lupron injections and/or Deslorelin implants for ferrets with adrenal disease